Friday, April 15, 2011

People who inspire me

I've been thinking a lot lately, about how I became me.  Not the physical, when-a-man-loves-a-woman becoming me, but what, and mainly WHO, helped shape me into who I am today.  I know I didn't just get this way myself.  I know that I was inspired, and molded into the person I am.  And, I think it's about time to recognize those people. 

First and foremost, my parents.  If it weren't for them, and the way they raised me and WHERE they raised me, I know for a fact that I wouldn't be who I am today.  My parents were the most loving, caring, and supportive parents a kid could ever ask for!  Yeah, they were strict.  But, I honestly believe that it is because of that strictness that got me through to where I am today.  They didn't let me act a fool.  They didn't let me up on my responsibilities at home or at school.  I was responsible for the outcome of my actions, whether they were good or not. If they WERE good, I was praised for it.  If it wasn't good, well, I was reprimanded for it.  My mom was always there for me.  She was always available for me to talk to, and she very rarely raised her voice to me.  If she did, I completely and utterly deserved it.  She had my back 110%.  And I miss her every moment, of every day of my life.  Same with my dad.  He is stoic.  He is my hero.  He was there for me for everything....whether he wanted to be or not.  I know there were many a day he didn't feel like driving 70-some odd miles to Erie just to see me twirl my flag in the marching band competition.  But-he did it.  Because that's what a good dad does. 

Mrs. Cummings was one of my high school english teachers.  It's because of her, and how she taught us, that I decided to become a teacher.  I remember seeing her at my mom's funeral, and I told her that.  She didn't seem to understand why I would choose her to be my mentor.  Why her?  Because she showed me a passion for the language.  She showed me how the written word can conjure up so many emotions and feelings from just reading them.  She showed me that when I write down my thoughts, that they not only are my thoughts, but conjure up thoughts from everyone who reads them.  Well, hell...if it weren't for Mrs. Cummings, you wouldn't be reading my blog right now.  Because of her, I learned to love to read and write. 

Carolyn Fournier (nee Woughter) was one of my co-op teachers during my student teaching.  It's funny, because I think I learned more from her than all 4 1/2 years of my undergrad degree, and I was only with her for four months!  She taught me what it was like to be a REAL teacher.  She taught me things they don't teach you in college.  She taught me that the 2 people you want to suck up to are NOT your principal and department head....but to the custodian and the secretary.  "Melody, they can make you or break you," she'd always say.  Wiser words have never been spoken!  Those are the first people I get in good with when I start at a new school.  If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have heat my in classroom, or any of the office supplies I need!!! 

In contrast to that, I also had a teacher inspire me to better myself, to prove THEM wrong!  I had this math teacher in high school we'll call Ms. F.  She was an unmarried, cranky and mean woman.  You could just TELL she didn't like kids.  I remember her saying to me one time, after I didn't understand a certain concept in algebra, "If you don't get it after the 3rd time, you're never going to.  And I'm not going to explain it to you again."  It was that particular comment that sent me spiraling into a deep and putrid hated for math, and for her.  It was also that statement that made me want to prove to her that I would eventually become a teacher, and one that was better at her job than HER.  I think, in a way, she's the reason I became a special education teacher.  I hated the way she spoke to me; like I was stupid or something.  And I didn't want another child to ever have to hear that.  So, I vowed to become that teacher who wouldn't allow their children to fail.  So yeah, I guess in a weird and twisted sort of way, Ms. F DID inspire me.  She inspired me to be better.  She inspired me to be a good teacher, and to love what I do.  Don't go asking for me to say thanks, though...because, in the words of the great Rhett Butler, Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn! 

I think, besides my parents, my biggest inspiration has been my sister.  Sis is my best friend.  I would burn bridges, break legs, and take names for her.  I can count on probably one hand the amount of times I've actually called her by her real name.  To me, she's my Sis.  To my chidren, she's "Aunt Sissy."  She has been my mentor, my confidant, my friend, and a surrogate parent for me my whole life.  I can't even think of words that express what she means to me.  Thank you doesn't ever seem enough.  She's provided me with a lending ear when I needed it.  She's provided me with whatever it was I needed, if I couldn't get it myself.  She has been there for EVERYTHING.  My high school graduation, my college graduation, my wedding, the birth of my children (ok, not AT the birth itself, but an extremely short period of time afterwards!)...you name it, she was there.  She is, and always will be, the one person I will always want to make proud.  There isn't anything that I don't do that I don't want her to be proud of me for.  Even at 34, I can't seem to shake that.  I'm old enough to make myself proud, but I just need to have that approval from her. 

So, there you have it.  The people who made me, ME!  Who inspired you to become who you are today?

No comments:

Post a Comment