Tuesday, January 26, 2010

So, I was sitting at the stop light of Hawley and Western today, on my way to work. It's the corner just before the school. U2's Beautiful Day was playing on my radio when I look over to my right and I see this boy from the school I teach at. Ordinary sight? Sure. It was 8:00AM. He was on his way to school. What WASN'T ordinary was that he was walking to school in 20 degree weather with no coat on. He's walking into the school just as I go past the foirer to my classroom. I stop him and ask him, "Q, where's your coat?!?!?" He proceeds to tell me that he doesn't have one. He said all he had was a hoody that he uses as a coat. I asked him if there was anyone in his family that could help him get one. He said no. I went out on my prep today, and stopped at the SalVal. I got him a cheap coat. It wasn't fancy by any means. Not really that nice looking, either. It only cost me 5 bucks. But, it was warm. I took it back, found out what class he was in, and called him out in the hallway. I gave him the coat. Jesus, you would have thought that he was given a million dollars! He was so appreciative. He said that he really needed it, and thanked me over and over again. I made sure he put it in his locker before I had him go back into the classroom. Now, see this? THIS, THIS is why I'm so disappointed in this whole Haiti thing. That kid is just as impoverished at the Haiti people. Who knows that this kid's home life is like. He could be living out on the street, just like the Haitians in the earthquake...but this kid's country doesn't seem to want to help him at all. Why? Because they're so damn busy helping out people in OTHER parts of the world, and not paying any attention to the people in their own country. THIS just proves my point that I made earlier. There, I said it! I'm ashamed of our country and how they treat the ones that live within its limits. They want to make others like us, so they neglect us, their people.

No comments:

Post a Comment